Thursday 9 May 2013

5 television shows that defined my childhood (and made me into the person I am today)

Dear blog, I acknowledge that I have abandoned you terribly in the last few weeks, and I apologise for doing so. However, this week was one of great productivity for me (I didn't even realise I was capable of doing so much in one week? Who knew I could get shit done when I need to?!), so don't rain on my parade. Anyway, I thought i'd just do one of those countdown type posty things. So here goes my list of: "5 television shows that defined my childhood (and made me into the person I am today... not really)"


  1. Sailor Moon
I remember watching 'Sailor Moon' when I was a little girl, and everything about this anime was just awesome at the time. Even though Serena was pretty annoying in her human form, I always wanted to be her. The transformation scene just looked so cool (it was all multicoloured and bright and had bubbles in the background!!!), and i'm sure if a time machine was invented, a little girl with a bowlcut (mini Jess) would have been chanting the phrases 'moon, prism, power' and 'I'm Sailor Moon, and in the name of the moon, i'll punish you,' at her TV screen. Plus Tuxedo Mask was an absolute catch. 





2. Sabrina the Teenage Witch

If you didn't think that Sabrina Spellman was the coolest onscreen teenage character in the late '90s and early 2000's, I shake my head at 'ya, and not in a good way. Sabrina was a witty, sassy, teenager, and I loved the fact that she always managed to find a way to use magic to mess up (and then eventually fix) a situation. I still await the day when I am granted my magical powers on my 16th birthday, sent to live with my aunts, and have a talking cat as awesome as Salem (btw i'm joking guys...not rly.) Not gonna lie, even the animated version of this show is still awesome to watch, and I may or may not have played the Sabrina computer game when I was younger. Oops.



3. Lizzie McGuire

How do I explain the awesomeness that was Lizzie McGuire? Out of this list, this show was probably my favourite when I was just a wee lass, because:
A) Lizzie and Miranda always had the coolest clothes (and if you didn't play the Lizzie McGuire dress-up game on the Disney website, you're a liar, because everyone I have talked to did when they were kids) B) Gordo and Miranda were the best-est friends anyone could have, C) the story-lines in each episode were absolutely hilarious, and Lizzie was just the most relatable character for a young girl at the time. To this day, I still remember going to my local video store, where I would rent endless seasons of Lizzie McGuire DVDs, and I would stay up late to watch them (I was a little badass clearly.) I also loved Hilary Duff so much, that I made my dad line up outside of a music store when she came to Sydney when I was in Year Four, so she could sign my copy of her CD 'Metamorphosis.' And who could forget the brilliance that is the Lizzie McGuire Movie?!!



4. The O.C.

Last year I totally felt nostalgic and just had a massive The O.C. Season 1 and 2 binge-watching session. Everything about this show was perfect, from it's theme song 'California' by Phantom Planet, to its dramatic storylines and loveable characters (apart from Julie Cooper and that nut-case Oliver; they sucked.) To this day I still defend my OTP Summer and Seth, because nothing was more heartwarming than their blossoming relationship (especially when Seth declares his love for Summer on top of the table of the common room, the infamous Spiderman recreation, and any scene involving Captain Oats and Princess Sparkles.) I do have to admit though, that Marissa's death totally ruined the show (and Mischa Barton's acting career oops.) However, most importantly, SETH COHEN Y U NO REAL?!?!?!?!



5. That's So Raven

'That's So Raven,' never failed to make me double over in laughter, mainly because Raven had the derpiest, funniest reactions ever, and everyday I strive to derp as well as her when i'm Snapchatting. 


Also runner's up: The Amanda Show (WHUT HAPPENED 2 U AMANDA?!), All That, Drake and Josh, Recess, Pokemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment